1.What Exactly Is a Massage Gun?
A massage gun is a muscle recovery tool that offers percussive or vibration therapy. These guns look like small handheld drills and can be spotted in people’s gym bags, at physical therapy or chiropractic offices, and among athletes who use them before and after training sessions.
2.How Do Massage Guns Work?
There are several terms associated with massage guns—percussive therapy, vibration therapy, percussive massagers, etc. While there are no specific studies yet about the effectiveness of massage guns, preliminary research in the field shows promising benefits of massage and vibration therapy which are both applied in percussive therapy.
Basically, massage guns are handheld recovery devices that use amplitude, torque, and frequency. They release pulses that go deep into your soft tissues. Think vibration and thumping motion combined.
3.Why Do People Use Massage Guns?
- Increased recovery after exercise by improving blood flow and reducing inflammation.
- Reduced delayed-onset muscle soreness (DOMS) after long and intense workouts.
- Improved muscle relaxation to increase mobility and lower stress.
4.How You Use Your Massage Gun?
- Don’t force the massage gun into your muscles. Instead, place it on your skin and move it around using slow, smooth motions.
- Aim to use the massage gun for 1 to 2 minutes on larger muscle groups and 30 seconds to 1 minute for smaller ones (more isn’t better).
- Don’t use a massage gun immediately post-workout, as this could exacerbate delayed-onset muscle soreness. Give your muscles a few hours to cool down before you start jiggling and jabbing them.
Most importantly, don’t make the mistake of thinking that using a massage gun means you can ignore the tried-and-true principles of proper training and workout recovery:
- Always gradually increase the volume, intensity, and frequency of your workouts
- Learn and practice proper weightlifting technique
- Complete a sufficient warm up before training
- Eat enough calories and protein
- Get enough sleep
5.Can Massage Guns Help Lose Weight?
Well first, engaging in physical activities can cause muscle pain. When you target your sore area using a massage gun, you treat muscle knots and muscle tightness. This allows the lymph to move freely. An improved lymphatic system leads to better metabolism. And when you increase your metabolic rate, your muscles can burn more calories.
Second, as a recovery tool, massage guns shorten your rehabilitation period and increase your endurance. This gives you your much-needed boost to keep an active lifestyle and continue your training regimen.
So to a certain extent, massage guns can help us lose weight effectively.
6.Are Massage Guns For All Active Individuals?
Massage guns are for anyone who is serious about their health. It’s for CrossFitters, athletes, and for all the people who are committed to having an active lifestyle. However, those who have the following medical conditions should consult their doctor first before using a massage gun:
Inflammation-related injuries such as bursitis, tendinitis, fascitis, and periostitis
Bone degeneration or osteoporosis
High blood pressure
Muscle disorders (like muscular dystrophy)
Severe varicose veins
Osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, or fibromyalgia
Autoimmune diseases including lupus, multiple sclerosis, and scleroderma
Percussive therapy is not recommended for pregnant women—regardless of how athletic they are. Expecting moms should avoid shiatsu and acupressure, especially those who are in their first trimester. This is because of the increased risk of miscarriage during the first term of pregnancy. Try professional prenatal massages to relieve your muscle tension and back pain.
If you do decide to get a massage gun, here are three worth buying:
Toncur Massage Gun with 30 Speed Levels-028($139.99 Save $50 Off Now)
Toncur Double-Handle Massage Gun-021($149.99 Save $50 Off Now)